Who We Are
WillowTree is an award-winning digital product agency driven by innovation and grounded in strategy and user-centered design. We create long-term partnerships with the world’s leading brands to design and build digital flagship products crucial to their core business. We are one of the largest independent digital firms in the US. Some of our clients include HBO, National Geographic, Anheuser-Busch, and PepsiCo and many more.
As a Product Architect, you’ll play a central role in defining and delivering world-class products. The Product Architect uncovers the “why” and works closely with engineering teams to successfully bring our partner’s visions to life. You’ll follow products through implementation, managing requirements, and working with design, development teams, and clients to keep development aligned with product goals.
We understand our responsibility to create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive place within the tech industry, while pushing to make our industry more representative. Because of this responsibility, we need candidates who value diversity and inclusion through their work, team collaboration, or mentorship. So in your cover letter, we encourage you to reflect on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
*In response to the pandemic, our team members have the option to work remotely. Once it is safe to return, this role will be based in our Columbus, OH office. Non-local candidates are encouraged to apply as we provide relocation assistance.
- Help clients define product vision and user objectives, maintaining strong client relationships
- Work with internal and external team members to define feature lists that align with client strategy
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to iteratively build solutions that are in line with time and budget constraints
- Facilitate conversations around scope management and feature prioritization
- Elicit requirements from stakeholders and manage complex requirement backlogs that consider multiple platforms
- Build a shared understanding of product requirements among all stakeholders (internal and external)
- Understand and advocate for the end-user’s needs
- Work alongside engineers to understand system architecture and data flows to guide feature development
- Collaborate with product designers and engineers to create best-in-class user experiences that are feasible and within technical constraints
- 3+ years of experience in the software development industry as a Product Owner, Technical Business Analyst, Requirements Manager, Product Manager, or related position
- An understanding of the software development life-cycle (SDLC) and experience working with one or more software development methodologies
- Experience working closely with stakeholders to elicit and define requirements for at least one of the following platforms: iOS, Android, Web
- Strong documentation and technical writing skills, with familiarity working with user stories, acceptance criteria, use cases, flow diagrams, user personas, and API documentation
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to size solutions based on project constraints, i.e. time/scope/budget
- Experience identifying and mitigating risks that could affect project outcomes
- Ability to communicate clearly, confidently, and tactfully and to simplify technical concepts for non-technical audiences
- Knowledge of frontend and backend technologies (i.e. web/native apps, APIs, databases) and the risks and constraints of different technologies
- An understanding of and deep appreciation for the topic of user experience (UX) and a drive to stay up-to-date with the continually evolving landscape
- Self-starter who takes initiative in solving problems and can self-manage commitments and deadlines
Even if you don’t have expertise in all of the qualifications listed, we value new perspectives and backgrounds and encourage you to apply. We’re committed to building a diverse company that reflects the diversity of our users. We’re committed to growth-mindset.
- In-depth software development knowledge
- Working knowledge of backend systems such as databases and cloud platforms
- Agency and/or consulting experience with a variety of clients and industries
- An understanding of the differences in capabilities across iOS, Android, Web, and TV platforms
- Certified ScrumMaster and/or Certified Scrum Product Owner
We offer a place to be yourself.
Our differences, both visible and invisible, benefit our teams, our communities, and the products we craft. That’s why WillowTree strives to build a team with diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives. You’ll work hard here; however, we’ll balance that with a culture that supports your growth and cares about your well-being. We’re committed to creating an environment of inclusion — a place where every Tree can thrive.
We want you to reach your fullest potential and part of your professional development at WillowTree will include dedicated time to innovate on passion projects and an annual stipend to fund your professional pursuits.
WillowTree upholds our core values in every aspect of our work. We promote safe and inclusive work environments and maintain a drug-free workplace. We celebrate our differences and provide equal employment opportunities to all team members and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Diverse teams build better products. We acknowledge that the tech industry especially lacks opportunity for those who are of non-traditional backgrounds and in underrepresented groups. In order to create the best products for everyone, we know that it's important for our team to reflect the diversity of our users, and we are committed to being the change we want to see.