Who We Are
WillowTree is an award-winning digital product agency driven by innovation and grounded in strategy and user-centered design. We create long-term partnerships with the world’s leading brands to design and build digital flagship products vital to their core business. We are one of the largest independent digital firms in the US. Some of our clients include HBO, National Geographic, Anheuser-Busch, and PepsiCo.
As our company continues to grow, our organizational “Branch” structure allows us to scale mentorship, maintain client intimacy, and foster a cohesive culture. Each Branch consists of 80-100 team members of multiple disciplines allocated to several projects. Our Branch leaders and practice leads collaborate within the organization to ensure consistent delivery and best practices.
The Senior Director of Engineering will lead one of our Branches and make a vital impact on the success of WillowTree’s engineering discipline, project teams, and clients. By representing Design and Program Management, you’ll guide and coach teams to optimally deliver quality products to our clients while championing a culture of engagement, collaboration, and inclusion. You’ll apply your knowledge of software development, team leadership, client management, and product strategy to implement and continuously improve processes and outcomes.
We understand our responsibility to build a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace within the tech industry while pushing to make our industry more representative. Because of this responsibility, we need candidates who value diversity and inclusion through their work, team collaboration, or mentorship. So in your cover letter, we encourage you to reflect on diversity, equity, and inclusion. Women, people of color, veterans, intersectional individuals and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
*In response to the pandemic, our team members have the option to work remotely. Once it is safe to return, this role will be based in our Columbus, OH office and may require some travel. Non-local candidates are encouraged to apply as we provide relocation assistance.
- Provide technical and engineering leadership to WillowTree teammates to guide decisions, envision long-term strategy, and plan product roadmaps for clients
- Lead teams, individuals, and projects to successfully execute and deliver high-quality products that exceed the needs of our Fortune 500 clients and their users
- Build and maintain strong relationships with clients and contribute to business development (including estimations, proposals, and pitches) to acquire and grow future partnerships
- Coach project-level leadership to align and optimize technical, product, business, and team goals (i.e. finding the right amount of balance when priorities compete)
- Coach project leaders to successfully navigate challenges, minimize friction, and instill confidence in our clients through successful execution
- Simplify complexity and cut through noise to drive teams forward
- Serve as the highest point of escalation for clients and teams within your branch
- Facilitate information sharing and collaboration across branches to solve problems, plan resources and allocation, and execute overarching organizational strategy and goals
- Conduct deep dives with teams starting new projects
- Assist teams during major launches, while cultivating an atmosphere of autonomy and innovation
- Contribute to hiring and retention activities, thought leadership, and estimation and allocation
- Lead, mentor, and manage a team of engineering directors including professional development, career growth, performance management, retention, promotions, compensation decisions, reviews, coaching improvement plans, and more
- Build self-sufficient project teams leveraging skills and minimizing gaps, while balancing growth opportunities and client needs
- Recent & significant experience with software development and delivery process including solutions and challenges/risks across multiple technologies such as iOS, Android, web, backend, and/or test
- Significant experience leading teams to deliver large and complex software projects for Fortune 500 clients
- Comfortable working with multidisciplinary teams (e.g. design, strategy, analytics) to optimize the product and project goals
- Experience with developing large, complex enterprise ecosystems and the challenges/risks that legacy systems inject to development and delivery
- Deep understanding of project management best practices including agile, scrum, kanban, and others as well as CI/CD
- Experience leading, managing, and mentoring diverse teams and individuals from all backgrounds with varying levels of experience
- Ability to simplify complex problems to identify root cause and communicate clear priorities to others
- Can effectively and empathetically communicate with teams and clients with differing goals and backgrounds
- Demonstrated experience building and navigating external clients and organizations in order to remove obstacles, barriers, and create a successful product and relationship
- Experience working with key client stakeholders to improve engineering and product processes for both the client’s teams and WillowTree team
- A broad approach to building user-centered products from analytics, research, design, data systems, etc
- Experience using data to advise product decisions
- Balances ROI with sophisticated product features
We offer a place to be yourself.
Our differences, both visible and invisible, benefit our teams, our communities, and the products we craft. That’s why WillowTree strives to build a team with diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives. You’ll work hard here; however, we’ll balance that with a culture that supports your growth and cares about your well-being. We’re committed to creating an environment of inclusion — a place where every Tree can thrive.
We want you to reach your fullest potential and part of your professional development at WillowTree will include dedicated time to innovate on passion projects and an annual stipend to fund your professional pursuits.
WillowTree celebrates our differences and provides equal employment opportunities to all team members and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Diverse teams build better products. We acknowledge that the tech industry especially lacks opportunity for those who are of non-traditional backgrounds and in underrepresented groups. In order to create the best products for everyone, we know that it’s important for our team to reflect the diversity of our users, and we are committed to being the change we want to see.