Who We Are
WillowTree is an award-winning digital product agency driven by innovation and grounded in strategy and user-centered design. We create long-term partnerships with the world’s leading brands to design and build digital flagship products crucial to their core business. We are one of the largest independent digital firms in the US. Some of our clients include HBO, National Geographic, Anheuser-Busch, and PepsiCo.
As a Senior UI Engineer at WillowTree, you’ll have the opportunity to impact teammates throughout various stages of their careers. You’ll have clear oversight of how engineering runs day-to-day and will influence project outcomes. In your cover letter, we encourage you to address how you'll further our goal of building a culturally diverse tech environment.
*This is not a remote position and may require some travel. Currently, all team members are working from home until our offices reopen.
- Lead the delivery of large and complex software projects from beginning to end in a team-based environment
- Confidently deliver high-quality software by applying critical thinking to products, requirements, and processes
- Work closely with clients to influence technical product decisions and business goals
- You’ll stay up to date with the landscape of software engineering best practices, tools, and frameworks
- Understanding of various software architectures and can adapt and compose solutions to unique problems with sustainable and reusable solutions
- Mentor a larger team towards shared goals and outcomes
- Navigate difficult conversations by providing constructive feedback to teams and clients
- You’ll identify obstacles to ensure quality, improve our user experience and how we build software
- Self-aware of limitations, yet curious to learn new solutions and receptive to constructive feedback from teammates
- You’ll guide your team to understand and work through changing priorities by bringing positive energy
- Communicate and simplify complex problems in order to foster understanding across multidisciplinary teams
- Apply your knowledge and learnings at an organizational scale
- You’ll travel onsite to meet with our clients about one week per month
- Able to evaluate and articulate which framework to use for a particular project
- Can articulate how users perceive performance and how to optimize their needs
- Understanding of the pros and cons of server-side and client-side rendering
- Experience as a technical leader to a team of web developers that have built and delivered a large web application
- Built and deployed complex software at scale involving at least one of our core technologies (iOS, Android, Web Apps, API Engineering)
- Owned and led the delivery of major features and components
- Worked with clients and stakeholders (consulting experience, ability to have difficult conversations or solve and advocate for best practices)
- Empathetic to client needs and desire to contribute sound recommendations on technical architecture and design
- Leadership or mentorship experience
- Can present complex ideas to clients and team members in a compelling and energetic way
- Proficiency using, modifying, and creating development tools that foster efficiency and improve process
- Business acumen - you consider 'big picture' perspectives and can successfully balance business goals and technical constraints
- You’ve conducted interviews and have hired for your team
- Expertise with advanced automation tools (e.g. virtualization, machine learning-based testing, massive parallelization)
- Basic understanding of how to design RESTful APIs that are optimized for responsive, interactive mobile experiences
- Appreciation of pixel-perfect UI implementations
- A list of emerging technologies we’re interested in: Big Data, Machine Learning, Voice, AR/VR, Security Background, and IoT
- You have code samples or a GitHub account to share and while you’re there, check us out!
Even if you don’t have expertise in all of the qualifications listed, we value new perspectives and backgrounds and encourage you to apply. We’re committed to building a diverse company that reflects the diversity of our users. We’re committed to growth-mindset.
We offer a place to be yourself.
Our differences, both visible and invisible, benefit our teams, our communities, and the products we craft. That’s why WillowTree strives to build a team with diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives. You’ll work hard here; however, we’ll balance that with a culture that supports your growth and cares about your well-being. We’re committed to creating an environment of inclusion — a place where every Tree can thrive.
We want you to reach your fullest potential and part of your professional development at WillowTree will include dedicated time to innovate on passion projects and an annual stipend to fund your professional pursuits.
WillowTree celebrates our differences and provides equal employment opportunities to all team members and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Diverse teams build better products. We acknowledge that the tech industry especially lacks opportunity for those who are of non-traditional backgrounds and in underrepresented groups. In order to create the best products for everyone, we know that it's important for our team to reflect the diversity of our users, and we are committed to being the change we want to see.