Who We Are
WillowTree is an award-winning digital product agency driven by innovation and grounded in strategy and user-centered design. We create long-term partnerships with the world’s leading brands to design and build digital flagship products crucial to their core business. We are one of the largest independent digital firms in the US. Some of our clients include HBO, National Geographic, Anheuser-Busch, and PepsiCo.
As a Lead Software Engineer you’ll mentor a team of all levels to help them achieve their personal and professional goals. Your partnership and coaching skills will impact our teams, clients, and company! You’ll have clear oversight of how engineering runs day-to-day and you’ll influence project outcomes and team happiness.
*This position is located in our Columbus, OH office and may require some travel.
- You’ll continuously identify obstacles and improve the process of how we build software
- You’ll help your team understand changing priorities and carry out new goals
- You’ll communicate and collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team including client and stakeholders with differing goals and backgrounds
- You’ll embody a growth mindset and apply it in your leadership style
- You’ll mentor others to help grow their technical and interpersonal skills
- Have a deep understanding of software engineering and established best practices
- You’ll research new tools and technologies to help innovate your projects and teams
- 12+ years of experience in a software engineering capacity
- 3+ years of engineering leadership experience — including leading teams and developing individuals in their career
- You’re comfortable having difficult conversations and always have your clients’ and teammates’ best interests in mind
- Experience presenting complex ideas to clients and team members in a compelling and energetic way
- You’re an empathetic leader that can help find solutions if problems arise with a client
- Experience conducting 1:1s with individuals and have leadership experience
- You have a desire to contribute sound recommendations and influence product decisions
- Experience working with clients and project teams to produce something awesome
- You’re excited to work with a diverse team made up of various backgrounds and skill sets
- You’ve led the delivery of large and complex software projects from beginning to end in a team-based environment
- You’re self-aware of your limitations, yet curious to learn and grow
- You’re a strong communicator and can navigate ambiguity
- You’re able to travel for one week per month
P.S. In an ideal world, you hit all the bullet points we listed, but hey — we know that’s a lot of bullets. If you feel confident about a good amount of them, we can ramp you up on the rest.
- You’re proficient with one or more of our core technologies (iOS, Android, Web Apps, API Engineering, Software Testing)
- You’ve worked in a client services environment (e.g. digital agency)
- Experience conducting interviews and hiring for your team
- You have coaching or mentorship experience
- You’ve worked in an agile environment
- You have a GitHub account to share and while you’re there, check us out!
We offer a place to be yourself.
Our differences, both visible and invisible, benefit our teams, our communities, and the products we craft. That’s why WillowTree strives to build a team with diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives. You’ll work hard here; however, we’ll balance that with a culture that supports your growth and cares about your well-being. We’re committed to creating an environment of inclusion — a place where every Tree can thrive.
We want you to reach your fullest potential and part of your professional development at WillowTree will include dedicated time to innovate on passion projects and an annual stipend to fund your professional pursuits.
WillowTree celebrates our differences and provides equal employment opportunities to all team members and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.