Who We Are
WillowTree is an award-winning digital product agency driven by innovation and grounded in strategy and user-centered design. We create long-term partnerships with the world’s leading brands to design and build digital flagship products crucial to their core business. We are one of the largest independent digital firms in the US. Some of our clients include HBO, National Geographic, Anheuser-Busch, and PepsiCo.
The Partner & VP of Design is a highly-autonomous executive role with endless opportunities to impact our teams, clients, and company through your leadership and creative vision. You’ll inspire and coach designers and delivery teams to create world-class products across projects while fostering engagement and inclusion. You’ll maintain strong existing relationships with our partners and work with strategic consultants throughout the sales process to acquire and grow future partnerships.
Applicants are encouraged to include in their cover letter information about how they will further our goal of building a culturally diverse tech environment through their work, mentorship experience, and/or thought leadership. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and intersectional individuals are encouraged to apply.
*This position is located at our headquarters in Charlottesville, Virginia and requires up to ~25% travel. Currently, all team members are working from home until our offices reopen.
- You’ll provide creative leadership, collaboration and roadmap development for multiple Fortune 500 clients
- You’ll lead a WillowTree “Branch” (a product delivery group of ~100 people) in partnership with a Partner & VP of Program Management and a Partner & VP of Engineering
- You’ll manage and mentor 10 or more designers within your Branch to ensure their professional development and career growth
- You’ll grow and scale our design team through hiring and networking
- You’ll work closely with the design team to provide creative direction on client work from exploratory conceptualization, design workshops, visuals, brand, UX, and prototypes, through execution
- You’ll coach project leadership (Project Managers, Senior Engineers, and Senior/Director level Designers) on aligning creative and design goals with established business outcomes
- You’ll create a positive and optimistic atmosphere that encourages our teams to be inspired and open to receive and provide feedback
- You’ll motivate your teams to pursue solutions during challenges and obstacles
- During complexity, you are able to simplify ideas and drive the team towards strategic design execution
- You’ll partner with business development to write creative briefs, develop proposals, provide estimations, and prepare pitches
- 5+ years in a creative leadership role (with at least 2 in an agency environment working with clients)
- As a design leader, coach, or mentor, you’ve learned the value of humility and self-awareness
- A strong portfolio of inspired, creative work across digital platforms. You’ve designed and led teams to create and ship beautiful digital products with strong UX and usability
- Experience leading digital design engagements for Fortune 500 clients
- Have collaborated with a multi-disciplinary product team (e.g. engineering, research, project management) from ideation to launch
- Can effectively present creative briefs to our teams and clients’ executive stakeholders through storytelling
- Able to prioritize and balance business outcomes and engineering constraints with UX, brand, and visual design
- Previous experience mentoring team members in underrepresented groups (e.g., minorities, women, those from non-traditional backgrounds)
We offer a place to be yourself.
Our differences, both visible and invisible, benefit our teams, our communities, and the products we craft. That’s why WillowTree strives to build a team with diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives. You’ll work hard here; however, we’ll balance that with a culture that supports your growth and cares about your well-being. We’re committed to creating an environment of inclusion — a place where every Tree can thrive.
We want you to reach your fullest potential and part of your professional development at WillowTree will include dedicated time to innovate on passion projects and an annual stipend to fund your professional pursuits.
WillowTree celebrates our differences and provides equal employment opportunities to all team members and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Diverse teams build better products. We acknowledge that the tech industry especially lacks opportunity for those who are of non-traditional backgrounds and in underrepresented groups. In order to create the best products for everyone, we know that it’s important for our team to reflect the diversity of our users, and we are committed to being the change we want to see.