At WillowTree, we bring our clients’ ideas to life — in a digital sense.
We believe teams of mixed disciplines and diverse perspectives create the best product.
And our Product Design team is vital to our clients and products.
They want to understand our clients’ unique story, business goals, and pain points.
They design with intent (always).
And they’re really good at turning complex (sometimes messy) ideas into elegant, intuitive digital experiences.
Our clients include HBO, National Geographic, Nestle, GE, 21st Century Fox, PepsiCo, and more. Our commitment to fostering an environment that encourages creativity has been awarded by Fortune, Great Places to Work and Glassdoor as the best workplace in tech. Check out what others are saying about us.
As a Principal Product Designer at WillowTree, you’ll be a leader and mentor among our tight-knit and collaborative team of 30+ designers, researchers, and strategists. This is a unique opportunity for those who want more responsibility and leadership in their career, without becoming too far removed from the work itself. In this role, you’ll inspire and grow other designers through leadership and mentorship, while directly influencing the creative direction and product decisions as a design director.
- You’ll take early ideas and guide your team to turn them into award-winning products
- No two projects are the same. You’ll set the tone for projects and design a seamless experience and process as enjoyable as the product itself
- You’ll mentor and guide other designers through the ups and downs of a project lifecycle
- Your hands-on mentorship will support designers to push out of their comfort zone and create the best work of their careers
- You’ll get clients excited about WillowTree’s capabilities through your ability to give form to strategic, conceptual ideas
- You’ll collaborate and build relationships with cross-disciplinary teams such as engineering, content, and project management in order to orchestrate a smooth project experience for our clients and teams
Your Day to Day
- Mentoring designers by providing meaningful guidance and coaching on everything from big-picture career growth and client communication to the pixel-perfect details
- Defining conceptual direction and visual direction for well-known brands
- Validating your design decisions through user feedback, quantitative insights, and evolving best practices
- Developing design systems and working closely with designers to interpret and develop clients’ brands digitally
- Designing and prototyping concepts for strategy engagements with clients — you’re able to work low-fi to hi-fi to communicate your design directions to a variety of stakeholders
- Establishing WillowTree as a thought leader in the digital design community — e.g. getting your ideas to paper or speaking at conferences
- Building relationships with clients and navigating your team through challenges that may interfere with executing the best product possible
- Presenting design work to clients throughout all phases of the process
- You’ve been in the design industry for 10+ years. You’ve shipped products that impact thousands (or more) users — and most recently you’ve been leading design teams
- You have a strong eye for aesthetic and visual design
- You have a strong understanding of the product development process, from problem definition to detailed UI and visual design
- You have strong opinions about visual and user experience design while remaining flexible to new or differing perspectives
- You have a portfolio that demonstrates an understanding of user and business needs, creative approaches to problem-solving, and a mastery of visual design
- You’re a strategic thinker with strong business acumen, yet you’re still able to roll up your sleeves and push pixels when needed
- You have experience presenting complex ideas to clients and team members in a compelling and energetic way
- You love working with clients and they love working with you. You're empathetic to their needs and bring solutions if problems arise
- You think “Yes, yes, yes!” as you read our core values and design goals. You’re committed to maintaining them and positively influencing the design culture
- You’re a tech nerd. You love living in a world where tech and design meet
- You prefer face-to-face over remote interaction — and you know exactly when to get on a plane to present or solve issues with clients in person (Some travel required)
We offer a place to be yourself.
Our differences, both visible and invisible, benefit our teams, our communities, and the products we craft. That’s why WillowTree strives to build a team with diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives. You’ll work hard here; however, we’ll balance that with a culture that supports your growth and cares about your well-being. We’re committed to creating an environment of inclusion — a place where every Tree can thrive.
We want you to reach your fullest potential and part of your professional development at WillowTree will include mentorship, dedicated time to innovate, and an annual stipend to fund your professional pursuits.
WillowTree celebrates our differences and provides equal employment opportunities to all team members and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.